Students are graded on a pass/fail system. Students must be present and participate to the best of his/her ability to receive a passing grade. Students are graded daily on a point system in conjunction with the district standards based grading point system.
The Physical Education Standards are:
- STANDARD 1: The physically literate individual demonstrates competency in a variety of motor skills and movement patterns.
- STANDARD 2: The physically literate individual applies knowledge of concepts, principles, strategies and tactics related to movement and performance.
- STANDARD 3: The physically literate individual demonstrates the knowledge and skills to achieve and maintain a health-enhancing level of physical activity and fitness.
- STANDARD 4: The physically literate individual exhibits responsible personal and social behavior that respects self and others.
- STANDARD 5: The physically literate individual recognizes the value of physical activity for health, enjoyment, challenge, self-expression and/or social interaction.
Standards 3, 4, 5 will be assessed daily on a point system.
- 1 point each class for student does/does not participate in class activities.
- 1 point each class for student does/does not behave with respect for self and others.
- 1 point each class for student does/does not show a value in class activities as shown by their full involvement.
Students are required to participate in tennis shoes on a daily basis.
Students participate and practice in physical education for Special Olympics and Adaptive Athletics events throughout the school year.
Students are encouraged to participate in Special Olympics as an extension of the regular school day. To learn more about MPS Special Olympics contact Katie Seitz, Assistant Recreation Supervisor for MPS Adaptive Athletics, at 414-647-3860 or firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also go to www.milwaukeerecreation.net/adaptive-athletics or www.specialolympicswisconsin.com for more information.