Creativity. Resilience. Discipline. Artistry. Dedication. Passion.
Our students enroll in two arts classes per semester making MHSA the only high school in Wisconsin to offer a core arts education in conjunction with college prep academics. Students are engaged daily with highly skilled and qualified arts faculty, and are offered unique and numerous opportunities to work with professionals – performers, actors, teachers, artists, musicians – through master classes, coaching’s, and performances. We pride ourselves on our dedicated student body; the hallways are filled with artists painting murals, string quartets practicing, or dancers mastering new routines.
In their chosen major, MHSA Students explore the world by creating every day. They develop skills in collaboration, determination and dedication – to their work, their classmates, their journey. While some of our students have received prior instruction in their chosen art area, many arrive to MHSA with little to no training.
A unique characteristic of the student body is how we embrace differences and the worth of every person. Acceptance and tolerance are hallmarks of our students pursuing their dreams. We support the belief that our common interests are more powerful than the differences between us.
All students thrive in our supportive community – Where You Belong!
- Dance: Ballet, Classical, Contemporary, Jazz, Pre-AP Contemporary Dance
- Literary Arts: Journalism, Poetry, Short Story, Study of Literature
- Music: Band, Chamber Workshop, Choir, Drumline, Guitar, Jazz, Orchestra, Opera Workshop, Percussion Ensemble, Piano, Senior Music Seminar, Symphony Orchestra, Vocal Jazz, Pre-AP Music Theory, AP Music Theory
- Theater & Film: Acting, Directing, Pre-AP Introduction to Theater, Theater Production
- Visual Art & Design: 3-D Art Studio, AP Studio Art, Design, Drawing, Image Technology, Painting, Pre-AP Art Foundations, Printmaking, Senior Art Studio, Video Production
MHSA provides an academically challenging educational program that includes Advanced Placement and honors courses. MHSA offers more than 10 AP courses for both high school and college credit. MHSA is one of only five MPS schools designated as an AP Capstone school. AP Capstone provides students with the opportunity to build the independent research, collaborative teamwork and communications skills valued by colleges and employers.