Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (PBIS)
PBIS is a joint effort between Milwaukee Public Schools Office of Family Services and the Milwaukee Teachers’ Education Association to effectively reduce classroom disruptions and student suspensions through a school-wide systematic tiered-intervention approach. Data shows that schools that implement PBIS with fidelity see decreases in disruptions and suspensions and increases in student achievement.
In Girl Scouts, girls discover the fun, friendship, and power of girls together. Through a myriad of enriching experiences, such as extraordinary field trips, sports skill-building clinics, community service projects, cultural exchanges, and environmental stewardships, girls grow courageous and strong. Girl Scouting helps girls develop their full individual potential; relate to others with increasing understanding, skill, and respect; develop values to guide their actions and provide the foundation for sound decision-making; and contribute to the improvement of society through their abilities, leadership skills, and cooperation with others. Our troop is part of the Girl Scouts of Wisconsin – Southeast.
The Boy Scouts of America is one of the nation’s largest and most prominent values-based youth development organizations. The BSA provides a program for young people that builds character, trains them in the responsibilities of participating citizenship, and develops personal fitness. For over a century, the BSA has helped build the future leaders of this country by combining educational activities and lifelong values with fun. The Boy Scouts of America believes — and, through over a century of experience, knows — that helping youth is a key to building a more conscientious, responsible, and productive society. We are part of the Milwaukee County Council.
Danceworks Mad Hot Rhythm (MHR)
Danceworks Mad Hot Rhythm (formerly Mad Hot Ballroom and Tap) is an educational dance program for schoolchildren in the Greater Milwaukee area targeting primarily very low-income schools in Milwaukee’s central city. MHR provides desperately needed arts programming directly in the schools, while building artistic, academic and social skills among students. MHR strives to empower youth to stay in school, gain self-confidence and reach their full potential through the transformative power of dance.
In addition to the strong academic program, Milwaukee French Immersion School also offers the following opportunities to its students:
- Fifth Grade Immersion Experience: 5th grade students have the opportunity participate in a capstone experience where they are immersed in French culture and language for one week at Concordia Language Villages.
- Violin – group lessons are available before the school day for students in grades 2-5
- African Dance – group African Dance lessons are held over 12 weeks during the year to enrich the music and physical education of or students in grades K5 – 3.
- Intermural Basketball Team
- Le DELF– Students in grades 2-5 participate in the DELF French exam to demonstrate their abilities in French.
- LEGO League Robotics Team – Select students in grades 4 and 5 are invited to be part of Les Robots Français, our First Lego League Robotics team.
- UNSIL – We are a part of the UNSIL network (United Nations School of Learning). UNSIL begins in 4th grade and continues through 8th grade. Our students learn about the United Nations and Member Countries and will continue their experience at MSL. Every spring, there is a culminating project and showcase event.