The Maryland Avenue Montessori School educational program is based on the teachings of Dr. Maria Montessori. Educational environments are designed to meet the intellectual, physical and emotional needs of children at various stages of development. At Maryland Avenue Montessori, children stay with a teacher for three years. Each class includes children of different ages, abilities and developmental levels.
Common Core State Standards
We use the Common Core State Standards as a guide for what needs to be taught at each grade level. If a child is performing above or below grade level, for example, that is where the child will begin their learning. The Common Core State Standards Initiative is a state-led effort coordinated by the National Governors Association Center for Best Practices (NGA Center) and the Council of Chief State School Officers (CCSSO). The standards were developed in collaboration with teachers, school administrators, and experts, to provide a clear and consistent framework to prepare our children for college and the workforce.
The standards are informed by the highest, most effective models from states across the country and countries around the world, and provide teachers and parents with a common understanding of what students are expected to learn. Consistent standards will provide appropriate benchmarks for all students, regardless of where they live.
These standards define the knowledge and skills students should have within their K-12 education careers so that they will graduate high school able to succeed in entry-level, credit-bearing academic college courses and in workforce training programs. The standards:
- Are aligned with college and work expectations;
- Are clear, understandable and consistent;
- Include rigorous content and application of knowledge through high-order skills;
- Build upon strengths and lessons of current state standards;
- Are informed by other top performing countries, so that all students are prepared to succeed in our global economy and society; and
- Are evidence-based.
Student Performance & Improvement
The mission of the Milwaukee Public Schools Department of Assessment is to empower educators and school leaders to improve instruction and student achievement through the use of data obtained from student testing. We provide the tools that help staff both understand assessment data and how to connect data to effective instructional practices. Ultimately, student achievement improves when assessment data is used systematically and strategically.
The Department of Assessment believes in ethical use of assessments and data, decisions based on facts, collaboration and connectivity between curriculum, assessment, instruction and continuous improvement. We are committed to provide accurate, timely and meaningful data that is easily accessible and user-friendly for schools.
- Train school and district staff in the appropriate administration of assessments to ensure the accuracy and validity of assessment results
- Ensure the alignment of assessment practices to academic standards
- Provide instruction and support to educators and district leaders in the effective use of student academic data
- Coordinate the processes for distribution and collection of all district assessments
- Measure, collect, and provide expertise in student academic assessment results
- Coordinate formal and informal assessments that drive the decision-making processes to achieve classroom, school and district goals
Additional information and links to each individual assessment can be found by clicking here.