Students: click here to view YouTube videos that support your Chinese language and cultural learning.
According to the National K-12 Foreign Language Resource Center, children who are exposed to a second language at a very early age have the ability to master that second language as easily as their first language.
With resources such as an onsite Chinese language teacher, students’ exposure to the Chinese culture is enhanced and incorporated throughout the curriculum at MACL.
MACL has several goals for Chinese Language Learning (The 5 C’s), they include:
- Goal 1 – Communication: Students will be able to engage in conversations, provide and obtain information, express feelings and emotions and exchange opinions in Chinese.
- Goal 2 – Cultures: Students will gain knowledge and an understanding of the cultures of the Chinese-speaking world and be able to demonstrate a relationship between the practices and perspectives of these cultures and their own culture.
- Goal 3 – Connections: Students will acquire information and recognize the distinctive viewpoints that are unique to the Chinese language and culture. Students will reinforce and further their knowledge of other disciplines through the study of Chinese.
- Goal 4 – Comparisons: Students will demonstrate an understanding of the concept of culture through comparisons of Chinese culture and language with their own.
- Goal 5 – Communities: Students will use the Chinese language both inside and outside the classroom to show evidence of becoming lifelong learners.