Upcoming Events / Meetings
CALENDAR CHANGE :
MIDDLE AND HIGH SCHOOL ONLY**- STUDENT ATTENDANCE DAY
Due to the Heat Advisory Days in August all MIDDLE and HIGH SCHOOL students now attend school on Friday, November 10th
FRIDAY November 10 – NO SCHOOL K-6
PAPA JOHN’S NIGHT- PTO FUNDRAISER
Monday, November 13
10:00am – 10:00pm
7520 W. Greenfield Ave.
MAC (Montessori Advisory Committee) MEETING
SEC (School Engagement Council) MEETING
Wednesday, November 15
All Are Welcome! A wealth of information
Wednesday, November 15
PICTURE RETAKE DAY
Thursday, November 16
Wednesday 11/22 – Friday 11/24 – NO SCHOOL
Classes resume Monday 11/27
The Montessori Advisory Committee (MAC)
The Montessori Advisory Committee (MAC) needs your thoughts, ideas, and voice. Join us to help strengthen Montessori education in Milwaukee. Be part of a committee working to make MPS a global leader in Montessori practice.
Meetings are 5:30–6:30 p.m. one Monday every month at MPS Central Services, 5225 W. Vliet Street, Milwaukee, WI 53208. Meetings are held in room 206–208 unless designated as a virtual meeting. Everyone is welcome at all meetings.
November 13, 2024
January 8, 2024
October Minutes HERE: https://tinyurl.com/3665v7af
~SAVE THE DATE for November 13th: Papa John’s (7520 W. Greenfield) will donate 15% of all carryout, dine-in, and delivery orders to MacDowell’s PTO.
PICTURE RETAKE DAY will be Thursday, November 16th.
- Retake day is for students who were absent on photo day, and for any student who is retaking their photo. Please make sure your child’s teacher knows that you want a retake photo done. If families ordered a picture package before picture day and did not like it, their student needs to bring the picture package back on retake day and take a new picture. Another picture package will be sent to school.
PRE ORDER YEARBOOKS
We are taking preorders for our school yearbooks! All students who had their photo taken will be in their classroom / grade level layout in this yearbook. We create two separate yearbooks, one for K3-6th grade students & one for 7-12 grade students. Yearbooks are delivered at the end of the school year. There are separate yearbook order links for each yearbook, please see order information below:
- K3-6th grade yearbooks will cost $15 – order online at ybpay.com code is 15140624
- 7-12th grade yearbooks will cost $25 – order online ybpay.com code is 14324524
SPIRIT WEAR UPDATE:
Dunn’s Sporting Goods is finishing up with our MacDowell gear! We should have Spirit Wear orders to families next week.
Thank you for your support! ~ Ms. Jaeger
Save The Date!
MIDDLE and HIGH SCHOOL Winter Concert December 6, 2023 – 6:00pm, Auditorium
- Required for middle and high school Modern Band, Orchestra, and Choir students
K5-6th PRIMARY / ELEMENTARY Winter Concert December 13, 2023 – 6:00pm, Auditorium
- K5-6th music students
Sports and Activities Update
HIGH SCHOOL ATHLETICS– Register NOW!
Last days to register for Boys Basketball, Boys Swim and Wrestling. Basketball tryouts are next week Mon, Tues and Wed. See flyer below.
Register online only: https://mpsathletics-ar.rschooltoday.com/home
🏀CONCESSIONS AT BASKETBALL GAMES: 🏀
High School Athletic Director Ms. Schenk is looking for volunteers to work the concession stand at High School basketball games this winter season. There are multiple time slots for each game, please consider helping once or on a regular basis. See the signup for a list of dates. Any help is appreciated! Volunteers do not need to have a high school student or athlete. The season begins November 28th.
See the sign up here : https://tinyurl.com/MacD23-24Concession
ELEMENTARY / MIDDLE SCHOOL TEAM MEMBERS :
PLEASE JOIN REMIND
Parents please join Remind to receive updates about your students’ sports and clubs. Here are the current Team & Club links.
- 🏀1-3 Basketball Team 1-Coach Glenn https://www.remind.com/join/ead63a
- 🏀1-3 Basketball Team 2-Coach Shawn https://www.remind.com/join/b2d448
- 🏀4-5 Basketball https://www.remind.com/join/g898dbg
- 🏀6-8 Boys Basketball https://www.remind.com/join/34cgf3
- 🏐6-8 Volleyball Team 1-Coach LJ https://www.remind.com/join/ggahg8h
- 🏐6-8 Volleyball Team 2-Coach Maiter https://www.remind.com/join/dhc274
- 📣6-8 Cheerleading https://www.remind.com/join/ecfb6h6
- ♟️Beginner Chess Club https://www.remind.com/join/c68gd4
- ♟️Experienced Chess Club https://www.remind.com/join/g7b2kf2
HIGH SCHOOL MENTAL HEALTH DROP IN SESSIONS – Every Friday until Jan 12th
DIA DE LOS MUERTOS
Our upper elementary students presented their ofrenda, or offering, that they created for Dia de Los Muertos. Students across campus enjoyed learning about the cultural traditions of Mexico and viewing the class ofrenda outside Ms. Kiki’s classroom. Participants honored their ancestors and loved ones with photographs and symbols of activities they enjoyed.
CAMP UPHAM WOODS
Last week, The MacDowell Montessori 7th and 8th grade students traveled to Upham Woods for a 4-day 3-night nature-based educational experience. Upham Woods is located just outside of the Wisconsin Dells on 310 forested acres along the Wisconsin River. The students participated in activities that were designed to encourage our students to become the next generation’s leaders in environmental issues with the goal of becoming caring and responsible stewards of the natural world and its inhabitants. Through Upham Woods’ educational programming, our students obtained a unique view of how Wisconsin has changed ecologically and culturally.
OPERA FOR THE YOUNG
Opera for the Young came to MacDowell for the second time! The company presented Beauty and the Beast on November 3, 2023.
Opera for the Young brings live, professional opera to MacDowell Montessori school audiences. All productions are fully staged, sung in English and created especially for children. Students appear onstage in chorus and cameo roles; they also help design certain elements of the production’s sets and costumes in collaboration with Mr. Schwarten and his art classes. Students from MacDowell choir sang the roles of exotic birds who helped propel the plot to its successful conclusion.
We are grateful for the sponsorship from MPS district music curriculum specialists Ms. Sharie A. Garcia and our principal Mrs. Andrea Corona who would like to keep this wonderful opportunity available to our elementary music program. ~ Mrs. Anne Benthien
📷Do you wish you could see pictures of your child highlighted in MacDowell’s Newsletter? Be sure they have a current media release on file for the 2023-2024 school year. Feel free to print and return filled out forms to school. There are so many great things happening in our school we love to share with the community. Any questions, or if you need assistance, contact Parent Coordinator Gail Jaeger. Media Release Form SY23-24
COLDER WEATHER: As the season begins to turn colder, please remember that younger students should have spare clothing for colder weather in their backpack/bookbag. If you have not already done so, now is the time to replace their clothing with colder weather attire.
!!! PLEASE LABEL ITEMS !!!
Families that are in need of Holiday support, warm weather gear, food, etc. are encouraged to contact Ms. Rachel Jacobson, School Social Worker. Desk (Office) Number: (414) 935-1432
Text/Cell (Google Voice): (507) 384-9078, firstname.lastname@example.org
DO YOU KNOW ANYONE INTERESTED IN MONTESSORI TRAINING?
The district has 20 sponsorships available for AMI Elementary training and 20 for CMSTEP Secondary training! Pass this FLYER along to anyone and everyone that may be interested!
All school newsletters will be sent via email and text on Thursday and will not be sent as a paper copy unless requested. If families would also like to receive a paper newsletter for red folders, please fill out this form HERE: https://forms.gle/qtgUbEcjqSx3sae47
!! OPT-IN TO TEXT MESSAGING ! To receive a newsletter link via text message be sure to OPT-IN to text messaging from MPS. Text “Y” to 67587 to receive school notifications, transportation updates, newsletters and important messaging.
How To Reach Me
If you need to reach me, my phone number is 414-935-1339 and my email is: email@example.com
~ Ms. Gail Jaeger
Lunch Menu – November
HS Athletics Newsletter – October / November
Resources & Events
URBAN ECOLOGY CENTER – School’s Out Adventure Days
Outdoor exploration, nature play, hiking, climbing, creating, and skill building for ages 7 to 12 years while school’s out during the year! The seats are limited and given on a first-come first-serve basis. Register for the 11/22/23 Adventure HERE
Remaining 2023 Dates:
- Thanksgiving- Weds Nov 22nd 2023 @ Menomonee Valley UEC
- Thurs Dec 21st 2023 @ Menomonee Valley UEC
- Fri Dec 22nd 2023 @ Menomonee Valley UEC
- Winter Break- Dec 26th-29th 2023 @ Menomonee Valley UEC
- Fri Feb 15th 2024 @ Riverside Park UEC
- Mon Feb 19th 2024 @ Riverside Park UEC
- Spring Break- March 25th-29th 2024 @ Menomonee Valley UEC
TRIPLE P – POSITIVE PARENTING PROGRAM
Parenting isn’t easy. Triple P, at Children’s Wisconsin, is here to help!
Triple P teaches families how to spend less time battling behavior and more time building close relationships.
The Triple P –Positive Parenting Program® will help you:
- Build a stronger bond with your children.
- Encourage positive behavior and cooperation.
- Promote new skills and teach emotional self-regulation.
- Respond to problem behavior effectively, without yelling.
- Take care of yourself and enjoy being a parent.
Positive change is possible – and you can start right now with Triple P Online.
Triple P Online is FREE for families in the city of Milwaukee. Triple P Online is a self-guided program for families of children 0-16 years of age. It includes 8 parts that you can do at your own pace.
- Pick what works to support your family’s needs and values.
- Do anytime, online, at your place, at your pace.
- Use your phone, computer or tablet.
- Watch videos and do fun, interactive learning.
- Choose between four different programs depending on your child’s age and needs.
Register now: TripleP-parenting.com/Milwaukee