~Spring Picture Day, Friday, March 3rd *see below for details.
~Wednesday, March 8 from 3:45 to 7:30 pm, Family Conferences
~Wednesday, March 8 from 3:45 to 7:30 pm, Book Fair, 3rd Floor Library
~Friday, March 10 from 8:30 am until 2:00 pm, MacDowell Blood Drive, School Gym. Registration required. See link HERE
~Monday, March 13 from 3:45 to 7:30 pm Family Conferences
~Monday, March 13 from 3:45 to 7:30 PM, Book Fair, 3rd Floor Library
~Friday, March 17th, NO SCHOOL
~Monday, March 20th, NO SCHOOL
SPRING PICTURE DAY: Please note – we have a Spring Picture Day scheduled!
Friday, March 3rd.
Spring Photos are different from traditional school photos – they are meant to be more fun and informal and are not required to be taken. Only students who have ordered Spring Photos online in advance or brought the order form back to school will be sent to the library for photography. If you would like to order online, please use our mylifetouch.com Picture Day ID: EVTHJ4VCP
MACDOWELL IN THE NEWS
Congratulations to our athletic department, players, and coaches for building a strong basketball program in our small high school setting! We work hard to build a culture of athletics, because we believe that our students deserve access to high quality athletic opportunities. 30% of high school students at MacDowell participate in at least one sport, and the valuable lessons that they learn on the court, field or track will last a lifetime. We are proud to compete at the Juneau Pioneers and keep the namesake of our building alive!
Lost and Found Table
Families, our lost and found table has grown quite large. Please take a moment when you are in our building to look through the items. Thank you.
BLACK HISTORY MONTH
Our school librarian, Ms. Raasch, recruited middle and high school students to design and create a variety of Black History Month posters to display in our library. We are so proud of our students’ talent and effort over the past two weeks to complete these incredible pieces of art to celebrate and honor Black History.
- “Words Have Power” was created by seniors: Keira Pressley-Smith, Malachi Williams, Neveah Zamora, Dayshawn Rowe, & Ethan Boeck.
- “Honoring the Past, Inspiring the Future” was created by sophomores: Angel Piper & Rachel Dickerson
- “Black HIS-tory” was drawn by sophomores Raylen Jones, Mariunn Davis, & McKale Kyles
- “Black HER-story” was created by freshman Jayana Scott-Warner, Amerie Howell, Destiny Smith, & Leontine Vaughn
- “Black Lives Matter, No Matter the Shade” was created by 8th graders: Nyla Hutcherson & Kenycia Minniefield
MacDowell is pleased to announce that we are hosting our first ever Chess Tournament on Sat. March 4th! Any interested student can register to play. If you want to register please follow the link below. We also will be in need of volunteers to make this a success – please consider signing up for a volunteer shift if you can help us!
Chess Tournament Registration: MacDowell Chess Tournament
Volunteer Sign Up: MacDowell Chess Tournament Volunteers
Attention Macdowell Parents
MacDowell Daisy Troop #11128 will be hosting a girl scout cookie table during conferences on March 8 and March 13 from 4-6PM. Please support your local building troop. Cookies will be $5 per box with following cookie options: Adventurefuls, Trefoils (AKA Shortbreads), Caramel deLites, Toast-yays, Peanut Butter Patty, Peanut Butter Sandwiches, Lemonades, and Thin Mints. Any questions, please contact COOKIE TROOP Parent Leaders: Jennifer Poethig email@example.com or Carrie Day firstname.lastname@example.org
Middle School Student Led Bake Sale
Elementary and Middle School Spring Coach Search
We are still looking for the following coaches so that we can offer these sports in the spring for our students. If we do not find coaches, unfortunately we will not be able to offer these teams this year. Please reach out to Ms. Claudine if you are interested or have questions! Tel: 414-935-1339 email@example.com
- 4-5th grade coed soccer
- 5-8th grade coed track and field (looking for an assistant coach)
Kindergarten Enrollment for the 2023-2024 School Year: February 4 to March 5, 2023
- If you have a younger child that you wish to enroll in K3 or K4 at MacDowell, you must enroll during this enrollment window to receive sibling preference. The current student’s name should be included in the application. Sibling preference is not granted after this enrollment window.
- There is no advantage to completing the enrollment application on the first day of the process.
- Current MacDowell students do not need to reapply. They are automatically re enrolled.
- Please encourage your friends, family and neighbors to choose MacDowell Montessori for their child’s education! Interested families should call the school office to schedule a tour.
HOW TO APPLY: To apply for Kindergarten enrollment, please complete these steps:
- Visit the MPS Online Registration webpage.
- Choose a language (English or Spanish).
- Select “Start New Application”.
- Complete the initial registration form at the end of the webpage. For “Registration Type”, select “23-24 Kindergarten”. (NOT FALL 23-24)
Wondering if you can enroll your child?
- Students enrolling at K3 need to be 3 years old by September 1st and must reside in Milwaukee.
- Students enrolling in K4 need to be 4 years old by September 1st.
MPS Kindergarten Enrollment Page; MPS: Kindergarten Enrollment – Schools
If you have enrollment questions, please contact Parent Coordinator Claudine at 414-935-1339.
DON’T FORGET TO PRE ORDER YEARBOOKS! Yearbooks will be delivered toward the end of the school year.
There are separate yearbook order links for each yearbook, please see order information below:
- K3-6th grade yearbooks will cost $15 – order online at ybpay.com – code is 14324523
- 7-12th grade yearbooks will cost $25 – order online ybpay.com code is 14880023
2023 ACT District Testing Day March 7
MPS high schools will administer the state-required ACT to grade 11 students on Tuesday, March 7, 2023. On this date, only juniors will be in attendance. Freshmen, sophomores, and seniors will not report to school on this date but will engage in asynchronous work. Multi-grade schools on the early start calendar (e.g., K– 12, 3–12, 6–12) will have regular attendance for students not in grades 9, 10, or 12. Students should arrive at school at their regular start time to allow testing to be completed in a timely manner.
2023 PreACT District Testing Day March 22
MPS high schools will administer the state-required PreACT to grades 9 and 10 students on Wednesday, March 22, 2023. On this date, only freshmen and sophomores will be in attendance. Juniors and seniors will not report to school on this date but will engage in asynchronous work. Multi-grade schools on the early start calendar (e.g., K–12, 3–12, 6–12) will have regular attendance for students not in grades 11 or 12. Students should arrive at school at their regular start time to allow testing to be completed in a timely manner.