~Saturday, February 11, 1-4 PM, Montessori Summit, MacDowell
~Wednesday, February 15th, 5PM, SEC Meeting
~Wednesday, February 15th, 5:30-6:30 PM, PTO Meeting
~Thursday, February 16, 1:00-3:25 PM, High School Valentine’s Day Dance
~Thursday, February 16, 7:00-9:00 PM, Middle School Valentine’s Day Dance
~Friday, February 17, NO SCHOOL
~Monday, February 20, NO SCHOOL
~Thursday, February 23rd, Black History Month Celebration, MacDowell Auditorium
~Wednesday, March 8 from 3:45 to 7:30 pm, Family Conferences
~Friday, March 10 from 8:30 am until 2:00 pm, MacDowell Blood Drive, School Gym
~Monday, March 13 from 3:45 to 7:30 pm Family Conferences
MPS SURVEY CLOSES FEBRUARY 10th
Share your voice!
MPS offers survey as part of strategic planning
Make your voice heard! MPS wants opinions as part of strategic planning for the 2023–2028 school years. Take our survey HERE by February 10th, 2023!
MACDOWELL BLACK HISTORY MONTH CELEBRATION 2/23
APEX FUNDRAISER FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
For Lower El and Upper El Families
SPRING CHESS CLUB INTEREST FORM FOR 2ND-6TH GRADE STUDENTS
- Beginner Club will meet on Tuesdays 3:00 – 4:15 PM
- Chess Team (previous chess knowledge) will meet on Thursdays from 3:00 – 4:15 PM
Each Chess Club will meet for 8 weeks.
The cost of the club will be $25.
- COMPLETE THE INTEREST FORM at https://tinyurl.com/ChessMac23 to enter your child in the lottery for this after-school club. Spaces are limited! Complete this form before Wednesday February 15th at 9:00am.
- The lottery will run 2/15 and parents and students will be notified by the end of the school day on 2/16 if they are in the club.
Students who are selected in the lottery should bring $25 to the main office before the first meeting.
Tuesday club: first meeting will be February 21st
Thursday club: first meeting will be February 23rd
FAMILY CONFERENCE REMINDER – Save the Dates!
We will publish sign ups for Conferences in the near future. Conferences will be in person or virtual.
~Wednesday, March 8 from 3:45 to 7:30 PM
~Monday, March 13 from 3:45 to 7:30 PM
Elementary and Middle School Spring Coach Search
We are still looking for the following coaches so that we can offer these sports in the spring for our students. If we do not find coaches, unfortunately we will not be able to offer these teams this year. Please reach out to Ms. Claudine if you are interested or have questions! Tel: 414-935-1339 firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1-3rd grade coed soccer (We have 1 coach, we are looking for a coach for a 2nd team)
- 4-5th grade coed soccer
- 6-8th grade coed soccer
- 5-8th grade coed track and field (looking for an assistant coach)
COME ON OUT TO THIS L.I.T SCHOOL BOARD FORUM & BRING A FRIEND!
All are welcome: From Leaders Igniting Transformation & Friends: We are hosting our first in-person School Board Candidate Forum since 2019! This candidate forum will give students & families the opportunity to be hands-on with this election by voicing their concerns and feedback about their schools. School Board candidates will share their vision for Milwaukee Public Schools and their issue priorities.
The forum will be hosted on Wednesday, February 15, 2023, at Wantable Cafe in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
Register at the link here: https://bit.ly/23MKESBFourm
The Parenting Network offers the following Triple P parenting classes (virtually) this month.
Full information HERE
2/10/2023 11:30 AM – 1:00 PM: Being Bullied. Learn how to help your children when they have been bullied.
2/13/2023 5:00 PM – 6:30 PM: The Power of Positive Parenting. This seminar introduces parents to the five key principles of positive parenting that form the basis of Triple P.
2/22/2023 6:00 PM – 7:30 PM: Self – Esteem. This workshop offers ideas to help you support your child’s healthy self-esteem.
Kindergarten Enrollment for the 2023-2024 School Year: February 4 to March 5, 2023
- If you have a younger child that you wish to enroll in K3 or K4 at MacDowell, you must enroll during this enrollment window to receive sibling preference. The current student’s name should be included in the application. Sibling preference is not granted after this enrollment window.
- There is no advantage to completing the enrollment application on the first day of the process.
- Current MacDowell students do not need to reapply. They are automatically re enrolled.
- Please encourage your friends, family and neighbors to choose MacDowell Montessori for their child’s education! Interested families should call the school office to schedule a tour. Please also remind them of our Montessori Summit on February 11th at MacDowell!
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply for Kindergarten enrollment, please complete the following steps:
- Visit the MPS Online Registration webpage.
- Choose a language (English or Spanish).
- Select “Start New Application”.
- Complete the initial registration form at the end of the webpage. For “Registration Type”, select “23-24 Kindergarten”. (NOT FALL 23-24)
Wondering if you can enroll your child?
- Students enrolling at K3 need to be 3 years old by September 1st and must reside in Milwaukee.
- Students enrolling in K4 need to be 4 years old by September 1st.
MPS Kindergarten Enrollment Page; MPS: Kindergarten Enrollment – Schools
If you have enrollment questions, please contact Parent Coordinator Claudine at 414-935-1339.
DON’T FORGET TO PRE ORDER YEARBOOKS! Yearbooks will be delivered toward the end of the school year.
There are separate yearbook order links for each yearbook, please see order information below:
- K3-6th grade yearbooks will cost $15 – order online at ybpay.com – code is 14324523
- 7-12th grade yearbooks will cost $25 – order online ybpay.com code is 14880023
2023 ACT District Testing Day March 7
MPS high schools will administer the state-required ACT to grade 11 students on Tuesday, March 7, 2023. On this date, only juniors will be in attendance. Freshmen, sophomores, and seniors will not report to school on this date but will engage in asynchronous work. Multi-grade schools on the early start calendar (e.g., K– 12, 3–12, 6–12) will have regular attendance for students not in grades 9, 10, or 12. Students should arrive at school at their regular start time to allow testing to be completed in a timely manner.
2023 PreACT District Testing Day March 22
MPS high schools will administer the state-required PreACT to grades 9 and 10 students on Wednesday, March 22, 2023. On this date, only freshmen and sophomores will be in attendance. Juniors and seniors will not report to school on this date but will engage in asynchronous work. Multi-grade schools on the early start calendar (e.g., K–12, 3–12, 6–12) will have regular attendance for students not in grades 11 or 12. Students should arrive at school at their regular start time to allow testing to be completed in a timely manner.
Parent/Student Handbook on Rights, Responsibilities, and Discipline