F. J. Gaenslen K-8 School is located in a quiet, residential area on the west bank of the Milwaukee River known as the “Riverwest Community”. The school, named after Dr. Fredrick J. Gaenslen, first opened in December, 1939 as a school for children who were suffering with Polio. In 1988, Gaenslen, and their neighbor, Fratney School, merged and moved into our present site. F. J. Gaenslen School, a state of the art facility, was architecturally designed to meet the academic and physical needs of regular education students and children with physical and other special education needs.
Gaenslen School welcomes and celebrates the individuality and diversity of our students, staff, parents, and the community. We are striving towards equitable, personalized, applied and engaged learning for all students. We educate with passion in a safe and respectful environment. We pledge to prepare students to achieve personal success.