Parents play an integral role within the Bay View Montessori learning community. Parents are the first educators in a child’s life, teaching daily tasks and encouraging an interest in learning long before a child attends school. Parental support is needed throughout a child’s educational career. By setting a positive example at home, students receive the extra motivation to pursue high levels of achievement.
Because parents are such a vital element of a successful education, every effort is made to include the input of families when developing educational plans and policies for students. By attending PTO or School Engagement Council meetings, parents have the opportunity to voice their opinions and offer suggestions.
Through effective communication and shared knowledge, staff and family members work together to create an environment for children that is conducive to learning and beneficial to their emotional, mental, social and physical well-being. At Bay View Montessori School, we have many volunteer opportunities for families to participate in activities to enrich children’s learning and discovery.
Bay View Montessori School offers families a neighborhood-based school with a Montessori focus. Our staff recognizes the importance of building a strong network among the school, the family and the larger Milwaukee community in order to create a successful educational environment for our children.
At Bay View Montessori, we are committed to a full partnership with families and the community in the education of our children. To that end, we will:
- Hold annual September and March Open House events where information about our educational program is shared with parents.
- Provide a monthly calendar of events and a newsletter, providing information for the involvement of our families.
- Promote involvement in a School Engagement Council and Parent Teacher Organization that meets at a time to accommodate the schedules of families and staff members.
- Gather information related to school needs as well as the implementations and evaluation of the school educational plan.
- Regularly provide information about curriculum, assessments and individual student progress.
- Provide ongoing assistance to families and staff members to improve our ability to support each other in the education of our children.
- Involve parents in the development and implementations of plans to inclusively address both Special Education and regular education needs of students.
- Facilitate family participation by addressing barriers (such as child care needs) and challenges (such as transportation) to family involvement.
- Provide a welcoming and inclusive atmosphere for families in our school and classrooms.
Staff strives to build upon the basic foundation and values instilled in young learners before they attend school. Families are essential to a child’s success both inside and outside the classroom. For this reason, Bay View Montessori School provides numerous opportunities for parents to be active in their child’s education. A variety of meetings, events and activities are held during the year to keep parents and guardians involved.
Parents are encouraged to volunteer in classrooms or in the school office in order to help the Bay View Montessori staff complete tasks more efficiently or to simply offer an extra set of hands. We have many events for which we need families to volunteer in order to make them a success. In addition, adult chaperones are needed for field trips. We appreciate and are extremely thankful for the wonderful parents and grandparents who offer generous donations of time and energy.
Bay View Montessori holds a variety of family friendly events that give parents and students a chance to have fun and learn together. Each year, the PTO and Fund organize the following activities for families:
- Back to School picnic
- Annual school Auction
- Children’s Open House and Ice Cream Social
- Annual children’s craft fair